The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to and end...

Monday, May 2, 2011

The Super Spud!

Oh, how I love potatoes!  No seriously, I love potatoes!  Ok, maybe not more than my husband and kids, but potatoes are pretty great, aren't they??


The reason I love them so much is because they are such a simple food that you can make into a variety of ways.  What other food can you say that about?  And what's even better is that they are so incredibly cheap!  I mean, you can buy a 15 pound bag of potatoes for under $3 most of the time. 


My love for potatoes came to light when we were serious about cutting our grocery budget a few years back.  I realized that the bag of instant potatoes that cost me $1.49 was not that great of a deal when I needed at least 2 to feed my family for one meal.  Then...voila!  The Potato!  Oh, I had heard about this vegetable before, but now it all became clear to me- I could actually make more mashed potatoes for less money by buying them in the produce aisle! 


Since then I've realized just how much you can do with just a simple spud.  Mashed potatoes and gravy, sour cream and cheese mashed potatoes (no gravy needed for these yummy things), fried potatoes for breakfast, fried potatoes and ground beef for dinner, french fries in the oven (much healthier too), potato salad, etc.


The great thing I realized in all this is that cooking potatoes from scratch is pretty simple, no packages needed to make an easy meal.  It's the simple things in life that make me happy!  Really, cooking from scratch is how cooking used to be done, and is something that can bring you back to the simpler days. 


Enjoy those spuds ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment